Now that your car is packed and you’re ready for most any adventure (9/16 post)–get ready to aaaarrrggghh! your way through the day in true Joyce style because, as you know, September 19 is International Talk Like a Pirate Day.
Here are some pirate sayings with a Joyce twist to get you started:
- Shiver me timbers: this is your reply if you’re asked things like, “Where are my socks?” or “Are we out of bread????”
- Walk the plank: this will be said to any man or boy who pees or sprinkles outside of the toilet bowl
- Ahoy me Joycies: this is how you’ll greet your girlfriends when they arrive for the lady pirate party you’ll be hosting
- Scallywags: these are the badly behaved, but likeable galpals you’ll invite to the party
- Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum: the signature party drink which will be served in a big tub
And may we encourage a little pleasure reading so you really feel the Joyceland call to adventure?
This is a ‘don’t miss’ and ‘how did it not make the bestseller list’ kind of read! At only 112 pages here’s how Amazon claims it will inspire us:
Booty is about big adventure and naughty behavior. It tells the true stories of real lady pirates from the 9th to early-20th centuries who raided ships, and enjoyed boozing, brawling, and looting. The lady pirates struck terror in the hearts of men all over the world. We’ll meet:
- Rachel Wall who gave up religion for “lewd company”
- Cheng I Sao who made her men drink wine and gunpowder
- Mary Read who killed for the love of another pirate
- Sadie the Goat who perfected the headbutt and became rich
Booty, Rachel, Cheng I, Mary, or Sadie–it’s difficult to pick a favorite. Joyceland ladies–have a blast pirating your way through today! We want to hear about some of your favorite scallywag girlfriends!!!
Daily Joy-ce Inspiration
“True joy-ce is that which gives us more energy
and makes us feel more alive.” —Robert Puryear