Some songs just make your heart sing. And today our heart wants to sing out loud . . . even though Joyce has been warned not to quit her day job for a singing gig. But you know what? We don’t care if people think we have a lousy singing voice . . . we just sing even louder . . .
Today’s Joyceland Spirit Sunday message is simple:
- Nobody can tell you there’s only one song worth singin’
- You’ve gotta make your own kind of music
- It may be rough goin’ . . . just to do your thing’s the hardest thing to do
- Sing your own special song
- Be your own fantastic lady of the now sound (thanks, Sammy, we will!)
Mama Cass was known for her sense of humor and optimism. And the warmth of her singing voice. She liked to wear a little sparkle. And she was considered to be the most charismatic member of The Mamas and the Papas. Yesterday would have been her 68th birthday. (And here’s a tingly true story . . . yesterday as we were considering Spirit Sunday topics Mama Cass popped into our mind out of nowhere and when we did our research we saw it was her birthday. Do you have goosebumps? We did.)
Several of Mama’s quotes place her in our esteemed Joyceland Hall of Fame:
- “I could have been a pharmacist. I’d make a good one. I’m jolly.” (Confidence!)
- “I’m equipped for all kinds of careers.” (Smart and versatile!)
- “I’ve done some spectacular things in my life, but I’m not ruled by ambition, folks.” (Okay, Mama, now we really love you!)
So, in the spirit of Mama Cass and Joyce–keep your heart singing all day long! Even if nobody else sings along. And go out and buy yourself a necklace like the one Sammy Davis Jr. was wearing. Joyce enjoys jewelry that makes a statement and she believes if a guy can wear that much gold, so can you!
P.S. What’s your favorite Mamas and Papas song?