This week I’m on vacation in Florida visiting our dear muse and my mother, Joyce. So . . . it’s . . . rerun time! Don’t you just hate that? Well then, as Joyce would say, “To hell with you!” What kind of blogger reruns her posts? I say a fine one. However, since you’re so demanding, here are two fresh Joyce gems to feed your weary soul:
1. Do you think Joyce is difficult to beat at Scrabble? Well, she is. She’s a player! And here is the word she used to win our most recent game: cur. That’s right, CUR. A cur is a mongrel dog–random bred or mixed breed. Do you suppose Joyce ran wild around town back in her fabulous days with a cur or two? Probably and it would explain a lot.
2. Our Easter dinner included ham and kielbasa. She always serves kielbasa because she grew up in Kiel. Anyway, one of the sausages lay uncooked on the countertop for hours and we forgot about it. We were busy. So later, after I spied the sausage hiding under some paper towel, I shouted, “Joyce, this kielbasa has been sitting out for hours.” Joyce replied calmly, “It’s okay, that thing has enough preservatives in it to walk out of here by itself.” So there you have it. Or as Olivia says, “You can live off of a Slim Jim for weeks and it doesn’t even need a wrapper.” Great minds think alike. Amen to that. It’s a refreshing attitude, isn’t it?
Awwwww . . . are you feeling nostalgic? Well, I am. Let me wipe away that tear! Here is a rerun of Joyceland’s very first post from July 27, 2009………………..
Here we go, all future Joyceland lovers! This blog is inspired by Joyce, along with several others, and is dedicated to anyone who wants to live a happy, fun life. An occasional thought for the spirit will be included, too, of course.
Joyceland is really all about fun. And socializing. Lots of socializing. So if you’d like to let the good times roll, turn to Joyceland. This is what Joyce thinks of cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping and household chores: not so much. She realizes these things must be done, but they must be done quickly so that one can get to the party. When you need to serve a vegetable, always go with asparagus sliced diagonally into one inch pieces, sautéed in butter. Simple. Quick. Green. And if you must eat a vegetable, it’s scrumptious. Joyce prides herself on her asparagus sautéing abilities.
Joyce believes in packing the trunk of her car like a closet so she’s ready for anything. She does not favor exercise, but recognizes it as a necessary evil.
Joyce thinks the fanny pack is making a comeback in a big way. You can keep your stuff comfortably situated around your waist so you can easily hold a drink with one hand. And if you’re a little chubby, the fanny pack works like shape wear.
Joyce is a big believer in prayer. So, let’s set the intention for this week. It’s a good idea to tape these to your dashboard so you’ll see them each day:
- May you be in the right place, at the right time, doing the right thing. And let’s hope this will get you to several parties.
- Look for the good and go about doing good. People need a little goodness so do your best to try to cheer others up. This should include lots of laughing.
- May serendipity abound. That way you may not have to cook all week.
- Try not to take anything personally. People are going to do and say all sorts of crazy things. What they say and do is about them, not you. Try to cut people some slack like Joyce does.
- May you enjoy lots of friends. Joyce believes variety is the spice of life.
P.S. Liv? Sheila? Stella? NellieJoyce? Stillpoint Sherrie? Dexie? Are you out there? Why don’t you write Joyceland this week……………………